For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – Senior catcher Sean Goodie (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) put up career-bests of five hits, five RBI, four runs scored, and two doubles in leading the St. Mary's College of Maryland baseball team to their first win of the 2018 campaign. The Seahawks (1-1) scored 15 runs in the second inning en route to their 23-1 five-inning victory over the College of Mount Saint Vincent (0-3) at the Hawk's Nest. The game was called after five due to darkness.
The 15-run second inning marked the first time since 2004 that the Seahawks have scored 15 runs in one inning. On March 28, 2004, St. Mary's posted a 21-0 road win over Lincoln (Pa.) University following a 15-run first inning.
How It Happened
- Mount Saint Vincent struck first in the first inning as Matt DiNorcia led off with a single, stole second, advanced to third on a fly out to right field before stealing home.
- The Seahawks responded with three runs in their half of the first and never looked back. Goodie's RBI and a two-run double from junior right fielder Dakota Merritt (Lexington Park, Md./Great Mills) highlighted the first inning.
- St. Mary's notched 15 runs on 11 hits, including four extra-base hits, and one error in the second inning. The highlight of the inning was a two RBI triple by junior leftfielder Holden Marshall (Towson, Md./Friends School) as well as a three RBI double by redshirt junior infielder Dan McCann (North Laurel, Md./Atholton).
- Redshirt sophomore infielder Jay Hammett (Coltons Point, Md./Chopticon) knocked out a three-run home run in a four-run third inning for his first dinger of the season and fourth of the his career.
- First-year Jackson Edelman (Cherry Hill, N.J./Cherry Hill East) threw a complete game for his first win as a Seahawk, improving to 1-1 on the young campaign. Edelman struck out a season-best five batters, scattered just two hits, and gave up just one run in the win.
- Hits: St. Mary's 21, CMSV 2
- Errors: St. Mary's 3, CMSV 2
- Left on Base: St. Mary's 7, CMSV 5
St. Mary's Offensive Leaders
- Sean Goodie: 5-for-5, 5 RBI, 4 runs scored, 2 doubles
- Dakota Merritt: 3-for-4, 3 RBI, 3 doubles, 1 run scored
- Joey Bryner: 3-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 run scored
- Dan McCann: 2-for-3, 4 RBI, 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 walk
- Jay Hammett: 2-for-3, 4 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2 walks, 1 homer, 1 double
- Holden Marshall: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 1 triple, 1 walk
CMSV Offensive Leaders
- Matt DiNorcia: 2-for-4, 2 stolen bases, 1 run scored
St. Mary's Pitching
- Jackson Edelman: 5.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 5 strikeout, 2 walks (W, 1-1)
- Michael Kochen: 1.0 IP, 8 hits, 9 earned runs, 1 strikeout, 1 walk (L, 0-2)
- Alexander Montanez: 0.1 IP, 4 hits, 6 earned runs, 0 strikeouts, 2 walks
- Robert Modica: 0.2 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 strikeouts, 2 walks
- Ronald Russo: 1.1 IP, 6 hits, 5 earned runs, 1 strikeout, 1 walk
- John Pichardo: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 strikeout, 0 walks
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Mar. 4 vs. CMSV (0-3) – Hawk's Nest – 7-inning DH – 1:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_baseball
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMBaseball
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks