For Immediate Release · firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashland, Va. – First-year head coach Jessica Seay (Port Republic, Md.) collected her first win as a college coach Wednesday afternoon when the St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team blanked the host Randolph-Macon College Yellow Jackets, 9-0. Another first was senior forward Carly Todd (Crisfield, Md./Crisfield) notching her first-ever three-goal game.
St. Mary's (Md.) 9, Randolph-Macon 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary's owned a 5-0 halftime lead behind two goals each from Todd and junior captain Megan Moore (Gambrills, Md./Arundel).
- Moore opened up the scoring at 6:37 followed by two Todd goals at 18:24 and 23:36. Moore tallied her second of the day at 30:04 before sophomore Sydney Cline (Frederick, Md./Linganore) found the back of the cage just a 1:13 later to end the first-half scoring.
- The Seahawks received goals from three new players in the second half before Todd closed out the game with her fourth of the season at 64:16.
- St. Mary's stymied Randolph-Macon's offensive efforts, holding the Yellow Jackets without a shot or penalty corner the entire contest.
For the Seahawks (1-2)
- Scorers: Todd (3 goals, 1 assist); Moore (2 goals); Cline (1 goal, 1 assist); Nicole Lertora (1 goal); Alli Szymanski (1 goal); Brady Wolf (1 goal); Mollie Belson (1 assist); Jessica Zhang (1 assist).
- Goalkeepers: Alyssa Thompson (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 49:38); Kelbey Egerland (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 16:21); Allie Creasy (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 4:01).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 45 shots and 16 penalty corners.
For Randolph-Macon (1-2)
- Scorers: None.
- Taylor Acevedo (1 defensive save); Riley Greenwood (1 defensive save); Erin Russell (1 defensive save)
- Goalkeepers: Kelsey Stanley (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 18:24); Ariel Salerno (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 17:26); Katie Thompson (17 saves, 6 goals allowed, 34:10).
- This is the seventh most goals (9) ever scored in a game as well as the seventh most points (22) ever tallied by a Seahawks field hockey team.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 9/10 at Washington and Lee University - 2:00 p.m.
- Washington and Lee holds a 6-2 edge over St. Mary's but the Seahawks recorded a 2-1 OT win at Seahawk Stadium last season.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks