For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Sewanee, Tenn. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team drew first blood Saturday afternoon but faltered against the Rhodes College Lynx, falling 3-1 in their first matchup at Sewanee: University of the South.
Rhodes 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 1
How It Happened
- Senior captain Alli Szymanski (Easton, Md./Easton) put St. Mary's on the scoreboard first as Szymanski finished off a pass from fellow classmate Carly Todd (Crisfield, Md./Crisfield) at 32:41.
- The 1-0 lead stood until the 39th minute when senior midfielder Mackenzie Busby (Charlotte, N.C./Providence Day) found the back of the cage for the equalizer.
- Rhodes claimed its first lead of the game at 47:13 behind senior forward Christina DiFelice's (St. Louis, Mo./Clayton) unassisted goal.
- Junior midfielder Maddie Smith (Chapel Hill, N.C./Carrboro) notched an insurance goal for the Lynx at 65:56 off an assist from Busby.
For the Seahawks (1-7)
- Scorers: Szymanski (1 goal); Todd (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Alyssa Thompson (11 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00).
- St. Mary's finished the game with 12 shots and six penalty corners.
- Today's loss stretches the Seahawks' skid to five straight.
For Rhodes (7-1)
- Scorers: Busby (1 goal, 1 assist); Smith (1 goal, 1 assist); DiFelice (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Laura Eckelkamp (8 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00).
- Rhodes recorded 25 shots and 13 corners in picking up its fourth consecutive win.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- 9/25 at Sewanee (3-4) - 11:00 a.m.
- This will be the first-ever meeting between St. Mary's and Sewanee.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH, #TalonsOut, #GoHawks
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh