For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Bridgewater, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team claimed an early 1-0 lead but ended up posting their third straight one-goal loss Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (1-3) dropped a 2-1 overtime decision at Bridgewater (Va.) College (1-2).
St. Mary's 1, Bridgewater 2 (OT)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's staked a 7-3 shot advantage and a 3-2 edge in penalty corners in the first half, allowing the Seahawks to notch a 1-0 lead at 21:58.
- Junior forward Alyssa Demski (Towson, Md./Loch Raven) sent the team into halftime with the 1-0 advantage as Demski was in the right spot at the right time to put back her own rebound.
- The Eagles outshot the visitors, 12-6, and owned a 6-3 margin in corners between the second half and the extra frame, including a 7-3 advantage in shots in overtime.
- Bridgewater notched the equalizer with less than three minutes left in regulation as Caroline Quigley fed Jacqueline DiFulvio at 67:41 to OT.
- Junior goalkeeper Kelbey Egerland (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) came up with three stops in a three-minute span before Tessa Tierson broke through for the game-winning goal with 1:15 remaining in the overtime. Georgia Howard assisted on the goal, giving BC its first win of the season.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Demski (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (11 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- St. Mary's finished the game with 13 shots (seven on goal) and six penalty corners.
- Scorers: DiFulvio (1 goal); Tierson (1 goal); Quigley (1 assist); Howard (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Emily Witzke (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 35:00); Ali Bishop (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 43:45)
- The Yellow Jackets collected 15 shots (13 on goal) and eight corners.
- Bridgewater moved to 7-4 in its series with the Seahawks and have now won the last three meetings. St. Mary's last win over BC came on September 19, 2015 in St. Mary's City by a 2-1 count.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 15 at Roanoke (2-0) – Salem, Va. – 12:00 p.m.
- The series is even at three wins apiece. Roanoke pulled out a 2-1 penalty shootout victory last fall.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks