For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team endured their fourth straight one-goal loss Wednesday afternoon. St. Mary's (1-4) rallied late but fell short in a 3-2 non-conference loss to the visiting Shenandoah University Hornets (6-1).
St. Mary's 2, Shenandoah 3
How It Happened
- Shenandoah jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with two goals in the game's first three minutes.
- Taylor Hayes struck first before assisting on the Hornets' second score as Morgan Payne deflected Hayes' shot at the left post.
- St. Mary's cut the deficit in half with a penalty corner in the seventh minute. Sophomore captain Meghan Ronan (Odenton, Md./Arundel) tallied her first goal of the season when senior Mollie Belson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) inserted the ball and Ronan fired in a shot.
- SU took a 3-1 halftime lead when Kayla Alderman finished off a pass from Kelsey Jones for her fifth of the campaign.
- The Seahawks stepped it up in the second half, outshooting Shenandoah, 8-1, and earning three corners, but Isabella Morande held St. Mary's at bay with seven second-half saves.
- Junior forward Alyssa Demski (Towson, Md./Loch Raven) pulled the Seahawks within one with five minutes left in regulation as Demski put in a loose ball for her second of the season.
- St. Mary's edged the Hornets, 10-8, in shots while SU picked up a 6-5 margin in penalty corners.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Ronan (1 goal); Demski (1 goal); Belson (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kelbey Egerland (2 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Scorers: Hayes (1 goal, 1 assist); Payne (1 goal); Alderman (1 goal); Jones (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Morande (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Shenandoah moves to 6-2 in the series with the Seahawks, including winning its fourth straight.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 23 vs. Wilson (1-1) – JLR Turf Field – 1:00 p.m.
- Wilson owns a slight 3-2 advantage in the series, which began in 1996. The Seahawks posted a 2-0 win in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, last fall.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks