For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland field hockey team saw their four-game win streak snapped Tuesday afternoon. St. Mary's (5-5, 0-1 CAC) opened up Capital Athletic Conference action with a 4-0 loss to York College of Pennsylvania (7-5, 1-0 CAC).
St. Mary's 0, York 4
How It Happened
- York posted a 19-11 advantage in shots while owning a 10-6 margin in penalty corners.
- The Spartans put one up on the scoreboard early as Greta Plappert put back her own rebound at 2:15.
- The lead stretched to 2-0 for York at 15:29 when Emily Shilling scooped the ball towards the far post and Sam Collis slapped it home for her first of the season.
- YCP headed into halftime with a 3-0 lead after Plappert scored her second of the day off a penalty corner. Julea Truskey and Dana Meehling both assisted on the play.
- St. Mary's held the Spartans scoreless until the 59th minute while Shilling notched one of her own off a pass from Mathlide Govers.
- The win extends York's win streak to four.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Kelbey Egerland (5 saves, 4 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Defensive Saves: Brooke Steinhoff (1)
- Scorers: Plappert (2 goals); Shilling (1 goal, 1 assist); Collis (1 goal); Meehling (1 assist); Truskey (1 assist); Govers (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sam Keating (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Today marks only the second time this season the Seahawks have been shutout.
- York moves to 23-10 in the series, including seven straight wins. St. Mary's last win over the Spartans was a 2-1 decision on October 11, 2014 in St. Mary's City.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12 vs. Eastern Mennonite (6-5) – Harrisonburg, Va. – 6:00 p.m.
- EMU boasts a 6-3 record in the series, which began in 1995, but the two teams have not met since 2015. However, the Seahawks won the last three matchups. Eastern Mennonite's last win was a 1-0 triumph in 2012 in St. Mary's City.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks