For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's basketball team posted their first home win of the 2018-19 campaign Monday afternoon as junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) poured in a career-high 30 points. St. Mary's (5-6) came up with an 83-71 victory over the visiting Greensboro College Pride (1-8).
St. Mary's 83, Greensboro 71
How It Happened
- The Seahawks owned a solid six-point lead three times in the first five minutes, including a 6-0 start behind four points from junior guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall).
- Greensboro flipped the script and after a Schultz dunk tied up the game at 15-15 with 11:21 left in the first half, the Pride closed out the half on a 27-13 run, including outscoring the hosts, 16-3, in the final 5:43 of the stanza.
- St. Mary's repaid the favor in the second frame as the Seahawks shot a blistering 62.9-percent from the floor, including 6-of-10 from downtown, to outdo Greensboro, 55-29, and register their third straight victory and longest win streak of the season.
- The Seahawks made quick work of their 14-point deficit, reclaiming the lead for the first time since the 13:13-minute mark of the first half at 12:39 on a three-pointer by junior guard Matt Ayoub (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson), capping a 27-11 run to begin the second period.
- A Justin Minnis layup evened the game for the third time at 61-all but the Pride could not get over the hump as St. Mary's ended on a 22-10 run.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's finished the game shooting 57.6-perecent from the field, marking the second time the Seahawks have shot above 55-percent this season. The home team also blocked a season-best five shots, including two each from forwards Naheed John (Rockville, Md./Massanutten Military [Va.]) and Darick Kerns (Cumberland, Md./Allegany).
- Schultz scored 15 points in each half on the way to his game- and career-high 30 points on 13-of-16 shooting, including four dunks, with five rebounds.
- John and Ayoub finished with 18 points. John also added four boards and three steals while Ayoub connected on 6-of-9 three-pointers (all in the second half) and collected five caroms and four assists.
- Junior forward Phil Newsome (Mitchellville, Md./Potomac) helped St. Mary's to a +2 rebounding margin with seven rebounds while Newsome and Rouse each contributed a game-best six dimes.
- Minnis led a contingent of four Pride players in double digits with 19 points while Carmoni Marks tallied 11 points and a game-best nine boards.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 22 at Mount St. Mary's (1-9) – Emmitsburg, Md. – 4:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks