For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary's City, Md. – The wins kept coming for the St. Mary's College of Maryland men's soccer team Tuesday afternoon as the Seahawks recorded their sixth clean sheet of the season. St. Mary's (8-1-2) posted a 4-0 blanking of The Catholic University of America (4-5) in its final non-conference matchup of the year, extending its win streak to four straight.
St. Mary's 4, Catholic 0
How It Happened
- Junior forward Khalid Balogun (Bowie, Md./Bowie) notched a season-best five points for the second time this season on a season-high two goals plus an assist to lead the Seahawks while sophomore forward Roshawn Panton (Bowie, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) added a goal and an assist.
- Balogun has now tallied at least one point in all but three of the team's 11 contests.
- St. Mary's, who ranks sixth in this week's South Atlantic regional poll, edged the Cardinals, 5-4, in corner kicks while Catholic tallied a 14-13 advantage in shots.
- Panton and Balogun connected for the first goal of the day as Balogun fed Panton for his third goal of the season at 7:54.
- Balogun then netted his first of the afternoon in the 30th minute as Panton registered his team-leading sixth assist of 2018.
- Sophomore forward Isaac Ekobo (Hyattsville, Md./Thomas Stone) tripled St. Mary's lead just minutes before the end of the half with an unassisted tally at 41:38.
- Balogun found the back of the net for his team-best ninth score of the season in the 61st minute.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Balogun (2 goals, 1 assist); Panton (1 goal, 1 assist); Ekobo (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Patrick Paolini (7 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00) – Third shutout of the season
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: Jack Long (1 save, 4 goals allowed, 63:41); Tannor Portland (0 saves, 0 goal allowed, 26:19)
- The Seahawks have registered three shutouts during their four-game win streak, outscoring their opponents, 19-1.
- Today's victory marks the 18th for St. Mary's over the Cardinals as Catholic owns a 23-18-3 lead in the series.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 6 vs. No. 7 Mary Washington (7-0-2, 0-0-1 CAC) – Seahawk Stadium – 4:00 p.m.
- Mary Washington leads the series 40-4-3, including winning 1-0 last fall in St. Mary's City in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament semifinals. The Seahawks won the regular-season matchup last fall, 2-0, in St. Mary's City when UMW was ranked 16th in the nation.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks