For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
Westminster, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's swim team came up just short Saturday afternoon in a non-conference dual meet at McDaniel College. McDaniel (1-3) topped the Seahawks (2-5), 58-55, as the meet was decided by the last event.
St. Mary's 55, McDaniel 58
How It Happened
- The Green Terror captured the 200 freestyle relay, gaining seven points and overtaking St. Mary's for their first win of the season.
- Sophomore Ryan Akhavan (Annapolis, Md./Broadneck) took home first place in the 150 butterfly, posting a 1:31.34 and narrowly beat fellow teammate Nate Donoghue (Lanham, Md./Eleanor Roosevelt) by 19-hundredths of a second as Donoghue finished second.
- Senior captain Kieran Broder (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) continued his strong senior campaign by taking first in the 150 breaststroke in 1:39.83. Broder claimed another first-place finish in the 100 individual medley with a time of 58.89. He also just missed another first-place finish (0.27 seconds) as he came in second in the 50 breaststroke in 28.92.
- First-year Andrew Scott (California, Md./Leonardtown) got back in the win column Saturday as Scott captured the 600 freestyle with a time of 6:03.09. He would not stop there as he swam a 3:14.08 to take first in the 300 individual medley as well.
- The 200 medley relay team of sophomore Peter Orban (Montgomery Village, Md./Watkins Mill), Broder, Akhavan, and junior Colin Cassady (Phoenix, Md./Calvert Hall) swam a time of 1:42.62 to finish second for the second day in a row.
- Orban also earned points in the 150 backstroke as he finished second with a time of 1:29.71 and then took second again in the 50 backstroke in 25.76.
- Cassady helped the cause as he captured second in the 150 freestyle with a time of 1:20.06 while Donoghue placed second in the 50 butterfly (25.19) and junior Reed Rhoads (Westminster, Md./Winter Mills) was second in the 50 freestyle (22.66).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 1-2 at Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by Randolph-Macon College – Chesterfield, Va. – Greater Richmond Aquatic Center
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmswimming
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks