For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland men's tennis team hosted The Catholic University of America in their home-opener on Saturday afternoon. St. Mary's (1-1) came away with a 7-2 non-conference win over the Cardinals (0-3).
St. Mary's 7, Catholic 2
How It Happened
- The Seahawks claimed a 1-0 lead as junior captain Jon Gorel (Jessup, Md./Hammond) teamed up with fellow classmate Ron Stith (Cheltenham, Md./Lackey) for an 8-4 victory over Kyle Weber and Matt Pham at No. 1 doubles.
- Senior Jacob Bartholow (Walkersville, Md./Walkersville) and sophomore Cooper Clark (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) made it 2-0 St. Mary's with an 8-6 win over Jason Tran and Joe Colucci at third doubles.
- Catholic grabbed its first point when Frankie Fortunati and Ted Tiu outlasted junior Jack Brandenburg (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) and first-year Sam Sheats (Arnold, Md./Broadneck), 9-8 (7-4).
- Sheats gave the Seahawks a 3-1 advantage with his 6-2, 6-0 victory over Eric Macarski at No. 3 singles.
- Gorel cruised to his second straight singles win with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at No. 1 singles over Fortunati.
- Stith stretched the lead to 5-1 following his 7-5, 6-1 win over Kyle Weber at the second flight.
- After CUA tallied its second point with Tiu's victory at No. 4 singles, St. Mary's won the last singles match, including a three-set triumph by Clark at No. 6 singles, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 10-6.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 7 vs. Stevenson (1-0) – Somerset Tennis Complex – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmtennis | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMtennis | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks