For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Norfolk, Va. – The No. 17 St. Mary's College of Maryland women's sailing team wrapped up their 2017-18 season on Wednesday at the Sperry's College Sailing Women's Eastern Semifinal hosted by Old Dominion University. The Seahawks came up just short of a berth in the national championship as the team came in 10th with 235 points, just missing the cut as the only Top 9 from the Eastern Semifinal and the Top 9 from the Western Semifinal advance to the national championship.
Sperry's Women's Eastern Semifinal – 10th of 18
- Tuesday racing began in a 4-6 knot southerly off of Lambert's Point. As the tide rose, the course moved closer to shore to speed up the rotation. The breeze built and solidified in the south throughout the afternoon with the last two races being sailed in 6-10 knots.
- St. Mary's finished ninth overall on Tuesday.
- Wednesday opened with 10-14 knot winds from the south. As the day progressed, the wind swung right and died, eventually ending in a light northwesterly. FJs delayed on water and the z420 fleet headed onto land to wait out the wind delay. After about 45 minutes, a northeasterly breeze filled in at 8-10 knots and racing continued. In total, 12 races in each division were completed by 5:00 p.m.
- Unfortunately, St. Mary's fell to 10th with a score of 235 following the end of Wednesday's competition and missed the cut for the national championship by one spot and four points as only the Top 9 advanced. Connecticut College locked up the final spot with 231 points.
- Skipper Jessica Bennett '19 and crew Kira Allen '18 guided the Seahawks to a ninth-place finish in Division B as the duo combined for eight Top-10 finishes, including a fifth-place finish in Race 2B.
- In Division A, skipper Ellie Ungar '19 and crew Ashley Wagner '20 (1-9, 11-12) and Sophia Taczak '21 (10) came together for a 10th-place finish in the division with seven Top-10 finishes, including winning Race 6A.
Up Next for the Seahawks:
- May 29 – June 1: Gill Coed Dinghy National Championship – Norfolk, Va. (Old Dominion)
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks