For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
York, Pa. – The hunt for a spot in the six-team 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Basketball Championship Tournament came to an end for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team Wednesday night. St. Mary's suffered a 76-42 setback at the hands of York College of Pennsylvania, giving York the season sweep over the Seahawks.
- Score: St. Mary's 42, York 76
- Records: St. Mary's (8-15, 4-13 CAC), York (16-8, 12-5 CAC)
- Location: York, Pa. – Grumbacher Center
How It Happened
- St. Mary's was limited to 18 first-half points on 6-of-29 (20.7%) shooting over the first 20 minutes of action and a seven-point first quarter.
- The Spartans jumped out to an 11-2 lead in the first period before a three-pointer by senior captain Kerri Kline (Hagerstown, Md./Saint James) stalled YCP's momentum but York closed out the quarter on a 9-2 run for a 20-7 advantage.
- York outscored the Seahawks 19-11 and owned a 21-point lead with less than two minutes left in the half. The Spartans headed into halftime with a 39-18 margin after shooting 43.3% (13-of-30) from the field while Sam Mocniak led all players with 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting.
- The YCP defense stymied St. Mary's in the third period, holding the visitors to one field goal, while the Spartan offense rolled to a 33-point advantage.
- The fourth quarter was the best for the Seahawks as they shot 7-of-18 (38.9%) from the floor with a pair of triples to keep pace with York over the final 10 minutes who also went 7-of-18 from the field with two three-pointers.
Inside the Box Score
- Kline paced the Seahawks with 13 points as she went 7-of-8 at the free throw line while junior forward Kobe Chaney (Edgewater, Md./South River) grabbed a team-best seven rebounds and added six points.
- Katie McGowan paced York with a double-double on game-bests of 17 points and 10 boards. The Spartans posted a 51-37 rebounding margin while gaining 17 points off of 22 St. Mary's turnovers.
- Kline remains in fourth place on the St. Mary's all-time scoring list with 1,219 career points in 97 games. She needs 29 points to move into the third spot and pass Stephanie Saint-Aubin '10, who put up 1,247 points in three seasons as a Seahawk.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 17 vs. Penn State Harrisburg (6-18, 1-16 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien ARC Arena – Play4Kay on Senior Day – CAC game – 4:00 p.m.
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks