For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
St. Mary's City, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland women's basketball team rebounded nicely from Saturday's road loss with their third home win of the season Monday night. St. Mary's (3-7) picked up a 75-64 non-conference victory over the N.C. Wesleyan College Battling Bishops (2-8) as five Seahawks put up double-figure scoring.
St. Mary's 75, N.C. Wesleyan 64
How It Happened
- St. Mary's shot an impressive 57.9-percent from the field to stake a 23-17 advantage after one quarter of play. All but three points were scored in the paint. The Seahawks opened up a 12-point lead at 1:13 on an old-fashioned three-point play by junior captain Gina Seifert (Owings, Md./Northern) before back-to-back three-pointers by Kayla Johnson closed the gap to six.
- Despite their field goal percentage dropping to 20-percent in the second period, St. Mary's managed to hold onto a 36-31 halftime lead. The Bishops three times pulled within one in the second frame but the Seahawks withstood the attack for the five-point advantage at the break.
- St. Mary's, who never trailed in the game, continued to widen the gap, leading by as many as 16 with 10 seconds left in the third on a triple by sophomore guard Kyaira Priest (Lexington Park, Md./Chopticon).
- The Seahawks maintained their double-digit margin throughout the fourth quarter, stretching it to their largest lead of 19 at 4:28 on a Seifert jumper.
Inside the Box Score
- St. Mary's, who ranks 22nd in Division III in forcing 24.13 turnovers per game, drove the Bishops into 34 miscues for the game.
- Seifert led the Seahawk scorers with a game-best 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting, matching her season-high for the third time. She also grabbed eight rebounds and dished out a season-best six assists.
- Persell registered her fourth double-double of the season as she came off the bench to contribute 12 points and 12 boards plus two blocks while Priest finished with 14 points and season-bests of six caroms, five helpers, and three steals.
- Senior captain Katie Robey (Kensington, Md./Georgetown Visitation) added 15 points, four rebounds, four dimes, and four steals while first-year guard LaTavia Washington (Waldorf, Md./Westlake) notched 10 first-half points to go along with three boards and three steals.
- Three NCWC players posted double-digit scoring as Nadiya Holley led the way with 13 points and seven rebounds while Weslie Young recorded a double-double with 12 and 10.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 29 vs. Immaculata (4-6) – Naples, Fla. (Naples Shootout) – 7:00 p.m.
- Dec. 30 vs. Suffolk (8-3) – Naples, Fla. (Naples Shootout) – 1:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks