For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredericksburg, Va. – It was the end of the road for the St. Mary's College of Maryland women's soccer team Wednesday morning in the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference Women's Soccer Tournament Championship Semifinals. Sixth-seeded St. Mary's (8-11-1) comeback came up short in a 3-2 loss to second-seeded University of Mary Washington (12-3-1).
St. Mary's 2, Mary Washington 3
How It Happened
- Mary Washington more than doubled the Seahawks in shots, 15-7, while each side earned four corner kicks.
- Despite a 9-3 shot advantage in the first half, the Eagles only mustered a 1-0 lead at the break.
- Abby Zimmerman, who paced UMW with two goals, netted her first of the day in the 27th minute off an assist from Lindsey Hendrickson.
- Senior captain Katie Flores (Towson, Md./Towson), this week's CAC Defensive Player of the Week, picked up three of her four saves in the first half to keep St. Mary's within one at halftime.
- Nearly seven minutes into the start of the second stanza, the Seahawks pulled even as sophomore forward Alex Moody (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) found the back of the net with an unassisted goal.
- The 1-1 draw was short-lived as Zimmerman struck again in the 54th minute, this time converting a feed from Katie Rauch.
- UMW doubled its lead to 3-1 at 70:51 as Corinne Carson notched her sixth score of the season off a pass from Alexia Inge.
- St. Mary's continued to battle and its effort was rewarded in the 90th minute when sophomore Madison Webb (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) connected with senior forward Jenna Pastel (Silver Spring, Md./Einstein), cutting the Eagle lead to 3-2 with 29 seconds left in regulation.
- Unfortunately, time ran out for the Seahawks and their rally fell one goal shy of overtime.
For the Seahawks
- Scorers: Moody (1 goal); Webb (1 goal); Pastel (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (4 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
For Mary Washington
- Scorers: Zimmerman (2 goals); Carson (1 goal); Hendrickson (1 assist); Rauch (1 assist); Inge (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kelcie Macomber (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Today marked the fourth consecutive trip to the CAC Tournament Semifinals during fifth-year head coach Peter Krech's tenure.
- Mary Washington improved to 28-8-8 in the series, which began in 1986.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Season Complete
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks