For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Beach, Va. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team once again split their two matches as the Seahawks wrapped up action at the 2018 Virginia Wesleyan University Invitational on Saturday. St. Mary's (2-2) swept Alverno College (0-4) for its second straight win before falling 3-0 to the host, Virginia Wesleyan (3-1), in the final match of the weekend.
St. Mary's 3, Alverno 0 (25-20, 25-11, 25-20)
How It Happened
- The first set was neck-in-neck until St. Mary's used a quick 3-0 run to open up a 22-17 lead. The Inferno closed to within two before a Taylor Wigglesworth (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) kill and back-to-back AC errors sealed the win for the Seahawks.
- St. Mary's rolled in the second, including notching seven points in a row to boast a 22-10 advantage. An Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) ace and another Wigglesworth kill wrapped up the 2-0 lead.
- The final set was another close one featuring 11 tied scores and eight lead changes. Alverno's last lead came at 17-15 before the Seahawks pulled away with a 9-2 run. St. Mary's last point of the match resulted from an AC service error.
For the Seahawks
- Taylor Wigglesworth – 11 kills, 2 digs
- Katie Agate – 19 assists, 5 digs, 1 kill
- Julia Sledz – 4 aces, 4 digs
- Emily Benedict – 16 digs, 2 aces, 2 assists
- Adair Watson – 5 kills, 2 block assists, 1 dig
- St. Mary's registered 46 digs, 27 kills, 11 aces, and four total blocks (0-4).
- Cailey Jeske – 12 kills
- Alex McMath – 10 assists, 2 kills, 2 digs, 1 ace, 1 block assist
- Morgan Lemner – 16 digs, 5 assists, 1 ace
- Arianna Rehberg – 2 block assists
- Catie Flannery – 8 kills, 8 digs, 2 block assists, 1 assist
- For the match, the Inferno notched 44 digs, 27 kills, six total blocks (0-6), and three aces.
St. Mary's 0, Virginia Wesleyan 3 (20-25, 25-27, 20-25)
How It Happened
- St. Mary's battled with the host Marlins all throughout the match but VWU was able to hang on for the sweep.
- The Seahawks owned the early lead in the first set, 8-6, before Virginia Wesleyan turned it around with a 5-0 run. St. Mary's tied up the game twice, including at 20-20 on back-to-back kills from first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton), but never regained the lead as the Marlins closed it out with another 5-0 run.
- St. Mary's took the Marlins to the wire in the second set but back-to-back attack errors by the Seahawks gave VWU a 2-0 lead in the match.
- SMCM grabbed an 11-10 advantage in the third game on a Hannah Krauss (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) kill before Virginia Wesleyan answered back with a 5-0 run. The Seahawks stayed close the rest of the way but the hosts outscored St. Mary's, 5-2, to post their third consecutive win.
For the Seahawks
- Ellyse Sutliff – 9 kills, 2 digs, 2 block assists
- Katie Agate – 33 assists, 8 digs, 2 kills
- Emily Benedict – 12 digs, 1 ace
- Marissa Dangler – 12 digs, 2 assists
- Hannah Krauss – 4 kills, 2 block assists, 1 assist, 1 dig
- St. Mary's picked up 50 digs, 40 kills, six total blocks (0-6), and an ace. The Seahawks also hit a season-best .248.
For Virginia Wesleyan
- Doneisha Hall – 12 kills, 1 dig
- Kristina Scott – 12 kills, 1 dig
- Meghan Wood – 23 assists, 7 digs, 1 ace
- Alyssa Taylor – 13 digs, 3 assists, 2 aces
- VWU, who has won three straight now to improve to 3-1, collected 48 kills, 47 digs, five aces, and two total blocks (0-2) while hitting .230 for the match.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 4 vs. Lancaster Bible (1-3) – St. Mary's City, Md. (MPOBARC Arena) – 7:00 p.m.
- Sep. 8 vs. Eastern Mennonite (2-1) – St. Mary's City, Md. (MPOBARC Arena) – 12:00 p.m.
- Sep. 8 vs. McDaniel (4-0) – St. Mary's City, Md. (MPOBARC Arena) – 4:00 p.m.
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks