For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · firstname.lastname@example.org
Frederick, Md. – The St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team claimed the Seahawk/Blazer Invitational championship title at Hood College on Saturday afternoon following two more sweeps to complete the weekend with a 4-0 record behind four straight 3-0 wins. St. Mary's (7-4) swept both the University of Valley Forge (2-9) and Hood (6-5).
- St. Mary's posted set wins of 25-10, 25-6, 25-10 over Valley Forge.
- The Seahawks then defeated Hood, 25-20, 25-7, 25-12.
St. Mary's 3, Valley Forge 0
- No other information available at press time.
St. Mary's 3, Hood 0
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) collected a match-best 14 kills while sophomore captain Ellyse Sutliff (Warrenton, Va./Kettle Run) notched her second straight double-digit kill match with 13. Sutliff also picked up eight digs.
- Senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) distributed the ball for 37 assists while adding eight digs, two kills, and two block assists while senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) picked up 14 digs.
- Junior defensive specialist Emily Benedict (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) had a great day behind the service line with five aces while tallying seven digs.
- A Seahawk attacking error pulled Hood within 21-20 but two kills from first-year outside hitter Taylor Wigglesworth (Gambrills, Md./Arundel) and a Benedict ace put St. Mary's up 1-0 with the 25-20 win.
- St. Mary's cruised in the second set, hitting .476 with 12 kills on its way to a 25-7 rout and a 2-0 advantage.
- The third set was no different as the Seahawks hit over .400 once again and closed out the match on a 9-0 run.
- The Seahawks finished the match with a season-best .375 attacking percentage.
- Elena Zinaich led the Blazers with four kills while Renee Reus posted 11 digs.
- Both Sutliff and Dangler earned spots on the All-Tournament Team.
- The Seahawks are currently on a four-match win streak following four consecutive sweeps.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sep. 18 at Washington College (4-8) – Chestertown, Md. (Cain Athletic Center) – 7:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks