For Immediate Release · By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Salisbury, Md. – Senior captain Hannah Krauss (Severna Park City, Md./Severna Park) notched a career-best 13 kills for the third time in her career Wednesday night as the St. Mary's College of Maryland volleyball team battled Salisbury University. The first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season continues to elude St. Mary's as the Seahawks (12-15, 0-5 CAC) dropped a 3-1 decision to SU (13-7, 2-2 CAC).
- Salisbury rallied for the win, 18-25, 25-20, 25-18, 25-19.
St. Mary's 1, Salisbury 3
- Along with her team-best 13 kills, Krauss added two digs and a block assist while hitting .250 for the match.
- Senior outside hitter Meghan Kelley (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) contributed 11 kills plus three digs and one block assist while first-year outside hitter Chanel Lucas (Rockville, Md./T.S. Wootton) added 10 kills and posted a .316 attack percentage.
- Salisbury claimed the first point of the first set and the Seahawks then never trailed again, holding an eight-point lead twice before picking up the 25-18 win on a Sea Gull attack error.
- The Sea Gulls opened the second set with a quick 3-0 spurt and never fell behind the rest of the way. St. Mary's erased a 19-11 deficit, closing the gap to 22-20 on back-to-back SU attack errors before Salisbury came out of its timeout and won the last three points of the set to even up the match at one set apiece.
- SU earned a 2-1 advantage in the match with a 25-18 triumph in the third set as the Sea Gulls jumped out of the gate on a 9-2 run and never relinquished the lead. St. Mary's pulled within 16-12 on a bad Salisbury set but the Seahawks could not close the gap any further.
- Salisbury raced out to an 8-0 start and stretched its advantage to 12-1 in wrapping its 13th win of the season. The Seahawks cut the lead to five six times but would get no closer in notching their seventh straight loss.
- Senior captain Marissa Dangler (Smithsburg, Md./Smithsburg) carried the defense with a match-best 27 digs while senior setter Mia Griffiths (La Plata, Md./La Plata) was three digs short of her 11th double-double with 38 assists and seven digs.
- Nicole Venturelli paced the Sea Gulls with 16 kills while Rachel Dubbs collected a double-double on 24 assists and 11 digs.
- St. Mary's conference winless streak stretched to 16 straight losses tonight as the Seahawks last CAC victory was a 3-1 decision over Frostburg State University on October 22, 2016.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 20 vs. Frostburg State (9-19, 1-3 CAC) – Michael P. O'Brien Athletics and Recreation Center Arena (CAC match) – 12:00 p.m.
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks