For Immediate Release · By Justin Gordon · firstname.lastname@example.org
Towson, Md. – First-year Lindsey Stevenson (Bel Air, Md./C. Milton Wright) became the first St. Mary's College of Maryland women's cross country runner to ever finish in the Top 3 while the Seahawks earned their second-ever first-place trophy at the Goucher College Classic Saturday morning. St. Mary's had three runners in the Top 5 and six runners in the Top 20.
- Place – 1st of 7
- Location – Goucher College – Towson, Md.
St. Mary's Top 5 Finishers:
- This is St. Mary's first team title of the 2017 season and just the second overall first-place finish in program history. The Seahawks' first-ever first-place trophy came in 2013 when St. Mary's captured the Hood College Invitational.
- Stevenson notched her best finish thus far in her young career as she came in second overall in 25:57.62. The previous highest finish by a Seahawk women's runner was fourth by Shannon Rafferty '14 in 2010 at the Coach Achtzehn Classic (5K) and by Keighly Bradbrook '14 in 2013 at the Washington & Lee University Invitational.
- Fellow classmate Kara Taylor (Ellicott City, Md./Centennial) finished right behind Stevenson with a time of 26:40.31 for third overall, which again was her best finish of her career thus far.
- Junior captain Marisa McCormick (Prince Frederick, Md./Calvert) ran a time of 27:21.09, which made her the third runner for St. Mary's to finish and put her fourth overall.
- Sophomore Sarah Jeffrey (Catonsville, Md./Catonsville) and senior captain Halcyon Ruskin (Kensington Md./Albert Einstein) were the next Seahawks to finish. Jeffrey ran a 28:44.65 for 11th overall while Ruskin came in at 29:07.50 for 14th overall.
Other Top Performers:
- Goucher's Soliana Goldrich won the 6K race with a time of 25:31.98 to lead the Gophers to a fourth-place finish.
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy claimed second on the strength of three top-10 finishes.
- Harford Community College rounded out the Top 3 as Caroline McCarthy came in fifth.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- The Seahawks wrap up the regular season this Saturday, October 14, travelling to Hood College in Frederick, Maryland for the Hood Invitational. Start time is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. at Utica Park.
- St. Mary's won the Hood Invitational in 2013 and has finished third the last two seasons.
Team Standings (7 Teams): 1. St. Mary's (30); 2. USMMA (55); 3. Harford C.C. (72); 4. Goucher (84); 5. Baltimore City C.C. (137); 6. Gallaudet (141); 7. Notre Dame (Md) (164)
Seahawk Finishers (60 runners): 2. Lindsey Stevenson, 3. Kara Taylor, 4. Marisa McCormick, 11. Sarah Jeffrey, 14. Halcyon Ruskin, 20. Lindsey Power (30:09.54), 25. Melody Raynaud (31:10.55), 26. Caitlyn Sarudy (31:15.23), 31. Alyssa Leventer (31:44.32), 35. Emily Lane (32:26.52), 43. Kaitlyn Simmons (34:35.70), 44. Tara Vizzi (36:07.78), 46. Kori Taber (37:30.22)
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMXC
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_xc
Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks